Replacing the oil and oil filter in your bike are very important tasks, and are central to any service. What many people don’t know is that the job can be done quite easily from home, even with limited tools, for a fraction of the price of having it done at a mechanic.
- Drive the bike for a couple of minutes just to make sure the oil is flowing.
- Allow the engine too cool down so that you can work on it.
- Make sure the bike is on its stand securely.
- Remove any necessary fairings and locate the oil drain cap.
- Place a large bowl underneath the drain.
- Unscrew the cap and catch the oil, being aware that it may be hot.
- Once the oil has drained, reattach the cap.
- Locate the filter and move the bowl underneath.
- Use a wrench to remove the old filter.
- Attach the new oil filter to the tightness recommended by the manufacturer.
- Fill a measuring jug with the correct amount and type of oil.
- Unscrew the filler cap, and pour in the oil.
- Wipe the area clean and replace the filler cap.
While the fairings are off, you should run the bike just to make sure there aren’t any leaks. Chinese Motorcycle Parts Online provides a great catalogue of products for a great range of bikes, including oil filters. You can save yourself a considerable amount of money by changing your oil yourself.
Motorbikes offer some of the most fun you can have on a public road, and are ideally suited to summer driving in the countryside. It might not be bike weather right now, but come...
The cost of buying a bike can be fairly expensive but it is the cost of running a bike that is usually the area that causes the most concern for bikers. With fuel, running repairs...
BMW Motorrad - the subsidiary of BMW Motorcycle - presents today its latest concept: the BMW eRR. Still in form of a prototype and designed in partnership with the Technical...
The Fiat Punto Evo, the evolution of the Grande Punto, will make its debut at the next Frankfurt Motor Show. It is destined to repeat the success of its...
Car maintenance at home is one of the very best ways of saving money. Labour and parts from a mechanic are often very expensive, and if you can do the work yourself, you’re...