Citroen has been a pioneer in the MPV segment, offering spacious, versatile, and comfortable vehicles for families and businesses alike. The French brand has also been at the forefront of electrification, with models such as the C-Zero, the Citroen e-Berlingo, and the Citroen C5 Aircross Hybrid. Now, Citroen is combining these two strengths in its latest offering: the new SpaceTourer, a fully electric MPV that promises to be a comfortable, connected, and stylish rolling lounge.
What is the Citroen SpaceTourer?
The Citroen SpaceTourer is a van-based MPV that shares its platform and body with the Peugeot Traveller, the Toyota Proace Verso, and the Opel Zafira Life. It is available in three lengths: XS (4.6 meters), M (4.95 meters), and XL (5.3 meters), and can accommodate up to nine passengers in various configurations. The SpaceTourer competes with other van-based MPVs such as the Ford Tourneo Custom, the Mercedes-Benz V-Class, and the Volkswagen Caravelle.
The SpaceTourer was launched in 2016 with a range of diesel engines, but in 2020, Citroen introduced the electric version, called the e-SpaceTourer. This model uses a 136-horsepower electric motor and a 50-kWh battery pack, which provide a range of up to 143 miles (WLTP) on a single charge. The e-SpaceTourer can be recharged to 80% in 30 minutes using a 100-kW fast charger or in 7.5 hours using a 7.4-kW wallbox. An eight-year or 100,000-mile warranty covers the battery for 70% of its capacity.
What are the benefits of the Citroen e-SpaceTourer?
The Citroen e-SpaceTourer offers several advantages over its diesel counterparts, such as:
- Lower running costs: The e-SpaceTourer has a lower cost per mile than a diesel MPV, thanks to the cheaper electricity and reduced maintenance needs. According to Citroen, the e-SpaceTourer can save up to $1,800 per year in fuel costs compared to a diesel SpaceTourer, based on an average annual mileage of 9,300 miles and a fuel price of $6.6 per gallon. The e-SpaceTourer also benefits from lower taxes and fees, such as the congestion charge in London or the Crit’Air sticker in France.
- Zero emissions: The e-SpaceTourer emits no CO2, NOx, or particulate matter, which makes it more environmentally friendly and suitable for urban areas with low-emission zones. The e-SpaceTourer also contributes to reducing noise pollution thanks to its silent operation.
- Enhanced driving experience: The e-SpaceTourer delivers smooth and responsive acceleration thanks to the electric motor's instant torque. The e-SpaceTourer also offers a refined and comfortable ride, thanks to the suspension tuning and the sound insulation. The e-SpaceTourer features three driving modes: Eco, Normal, and Power, which adjust the power output and the energy consumption according to the driving conditions and the driver’s preferences. The e-SpaceTourer also has a regenerative braking system, which recovers energy when decelerating or braking, and a hill start assist function, which prevents the vehicle from rolling back on slopes.
What are the features of the Citroen e-SpaceTourer?
The Citroen e-SpaceTourer is not only a practical and efficient MPV but also a modern and stylish one with a range of features that enhance its appeal and functionality. Some of these features are:
- A sleek and dynamic design: The e-SpaceTourer has a distinctive front end, with a chrome grille, LED daytime running lights, and a blue-tinted logo that indicate its electric nature. The e-SpaceTourer also has a fluid and aerodynamic silhouette, with sliding side doors, tinted windows, and 17-inch alloy wheels. The e-SpaceTourer is available in nine colors, including Polar White, Platinum Grey, and Soft Sand.
- A spacious and versatile interior: The e-SpaceTourer has a modular and flexible cabin, with up to nine seats that can be arranged in various ways, depending on the needs of the passengers. The e-SpaceTourer also has a generous boot space, ranging from 1,500 liters in the XS version to 2,900 liters in the XL version, with the rear seats folded. The e-SpaceTourer also has plenty of storage compartments, such as door pockets, cup holders, and a glove box.
- A high level of comfort and convenience: The e-SpaceTourer has a cozy and welcoming atmosphere, with a leather steering wheel, a soft-touch dashboard, and a panoramic glass roof that floods the cabin with natural light. The e-SpaceTourer also has a range of equipment that make the journey more pleasant, such as a dual-zone automatic climate control, a head-up display, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a wireless smartphone charger, and a rearview camera.
- A comprehensive safety and security package: The e-SpaceTourer has a number of advanced driver assistance systems that help prevent or mitigate accidents, such as adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, active safety brake, collision risk alert, and driver attention alert. The e-SpaceTourer also has six airbags, an electronic stability program, an anti-lock braking system, and a tire pressure monitoring system. The e-SpaceTourer also has a remote control and a smartphone app that allows the owner to lock and unlock the doors, check the battery status and the charging progress, pre-condition the cabin temperature, and locate the vehicle.
How does the Citroen e-SpaceTourer compare to its rivals?
The Citroen e-SpaceTourer is one of the few electric MPVs on the market, and it faces competition from models such as the Mercedes-Benz EQV, the Nissan e-NV200 Combi, and the upcoming Volkswagen ID. Buzz. Here is a comparison table that shows how the e-SpaceTourer stacks up against its rivals in terms of price, performance, and practicality:
|Nissan e-NV200 Combi
|Volkswagen ID. Buzz
As the table shows, the Citroen e-SpaceTourer offers a good balance of affordability, performance, and practicality, compared to its rivals. It is cheaper than the Mercedes-Benz EQV, more powerful and spacious than the Nissan e-NV200 Combi, and more available than the Volkswagen ID. Buzz. However, it also has some drawbacks, such as a shorter range than the EQV and the ID. Buzz, and a lower battery capacity than the EQV.
The Citroen e-SpaceTourer is a compelling option for anyone looking for a spacious, versatile, and comfortable electric MPV. It offers lower running costs, zero emissions, a smooth and refined driving experience, a sleek and dynamic design, a cozy and welcoming interior, and a comprehensive safety and security package. The e-SpaceTourer also has a competitive price compared to its rivals and a reasonable range, although it could benefit from a larger battery option. The e-SpaceTourer is a worthy addition to Citroen’s MPV and electric portfolios and a testament to the brand’s innovation and creativity.
Volkswagen is showing off its first all-electric sedan at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. The car is based on the modular electric drive matrix (MEB). The VW...read more
Fiat has recently launched a new electric minicar that pays homage to one of its most iconic models: the Fiat 500 "Topolino." The new Fiat Topolino is...read more
The Volkswagen ID.7 is a sleek, spacious, and sophisticated electric sedan that has won several awards and accolades since its launch in late 2023. The latest...read more
Mercedes-Benz Trucks is celebrating the world premiere of its eActros battery-electric truck for heavy-duty distribution transport. With the first electric...read more
Peugeot, the pioneer and 1st worldwide manufacturer of electric vehicles will be launching the Peugeot iOn at the end of 2010. Its performance and 130 km operating range is obtained in particular due...read more
The global movement towards increasingly larger cities is connected with growing demands for transport solutions. At the same time, authorities are demanding substantial gases and emission reductions...read more
The latest addition to the iconic smart fortwo range is certain to live up to its namesake – the edition highstyle. Finished in trendy chocolate brown metallic and boasting a...read more
Excitement is building as the first 25 full production all-electric Mitsubishi i-MiEV’s arrive at Bristol’s Royal Portbury Docks. Final preparation has already begun before the cars...read more
SEAT is exhibiting new ECOMOTIVE versions of the recently-revised Altea, Altea XL and León at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show. The three newcomers are the latest products of the Spanish...read more