BMW has unveiled the all-new BMW R 1300 GS, the latest version of its iconic adventure bike that has dominated the segment for almost four decades. The new model boasts a host of improvements and innovations that make it more capable, comfortable, and customizable than ever before.
More power, more torque, more fun
The heart of the new BMW R 1300 GS is the newly developed 1,293 cc boxer engine that delivers 136 hp at 7,750 rpm and 143 Nm of torque at 6,250 rpm. That's an increase of 11 hp and 18 Nm compared to the previous model, which means more power and performance in any situation.
The new engine also features a variable valve timing system called ShiftCam, which adjusts the valve opening times and lift depending on the throttle position and engine speed. This results in smoother power delivery, better fuel efficiency, lower emissions, and reduced noise.
The new engine is paired with a six-speed gearbox with an anti-hopping clutch that prevents rear wheel lock-up during hard downshifts. The gearbox also has an optional quick-shifter that allows clutchless upshifts and downshifts for faster and smoother gear changes.
The new BMW R 1300 GS also comes with a new exhaust system that is lighter, more compact, and more aerodynamic than before. The exhaust system has a sound flap that adjusts the sound character of the engine depending on the riding mode and speed.
More control, more safety, more confidence
The new BMW R 1300 GS is equipped with a new chassis that is stiffer, lighter, and more agile than before. The chassis consists of a steel bridge frame, a cast aluminum swingarm, and a telelever front suspension with a central spring strut. The telelever system reduces dive under braking and provides excellent stability and feedback.
The rear suspension is a paralever system with a single-sided swingarm and an electronically adjustable shock absorber. The shock absorber has four modes: Rain, Road, Dynamic, and Auto. The Auto mode automatically adapts the damping to the riding conditions and load.
The new BMW R 1300 GS also features a new generation of riding assistance systems that enhance safety and comfort. These include:
- ABS Pro: This system prevents wheel lock-up even when braking hard or in corners. It also modulates the brake pressure depending on the lean angle and road surface.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC): This system prevents wheel spin and loss of traction by adjusting the engine torque depending on the lean angle, speed, and grip level.
- Hill Start Control Pro (HSC Pro): This system prevents the bike from rolling back when starting on an uphill slope. It also allows the rider to set the brake pressure manually using the hand or foot brake lever.
- Dynamic Brake Control (DBC): This system maximizes braking performance by automatically closing the throttle and reducing engine torque when braking hard or in an emergency.
- Adaptive Cornering Light: This system improves visibility in corners by turning on additional LED lights depending on the lean angle and speed.
More comfort, more convenience, more customization
The new BMW R 1300 GS is designed to offer maximum comfort and convenience for long-distance journeys and off-road adventures. The bike has a new ergonomic seat that is adjustable in height and tilt. The seat also has an optional heating function that can be controlled via the handlebar switch or the TFT display.
The bike also has a new windscreen that is larger, wider, and more aerodynamic than before. The windscreen can be adjusted in height manually or electronically using a button on the handlebar. The windscreen also has an optional wind deflector that reduces turbulence and noise.
The bike also has a new 10.25-inch TFT display that replaces the analog instruments and shows all the relevant information such as speed, rpm, fuel level, gear indicator, riding mode, navigation, phone calls, music, etc. Depending on the rider's preference, the display can be customized to show different layouts and colors.
The display can also be connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth or USB using the BMW Motorrad Connected app. The app allows the rider to access additional features such as turn-by-turn navigation, weather information, trip recording, vehicle status, etc.
The bike also has a new multifunctional controller on the left handlebar that allows easy operation of the display and other functions such as cruise control, heated grips, heated seat, etc.
The new BMW R 1300 GS also offers high customization and personalization options. The bike is available in three basic colors: Light White, Racing Blue Metallic, and Black Storm Metallic. The bike also has three style variants: Basic, Pro, and HP.
The Basic style variant has a silver frame, black engine, and silver wheels. The Pro style variant has a black frame, black engine, and gold wheels. The HP-style variant has a red frame, silver engine, and gold wheels.
The bike also has a range of optional equipment and accessories that can be added to enhance the bike's performance, comfort, or appearance. These include:
- Dynamic ESA: This system automatically adjusts the suspension settings depending on the riding mode and load.
- Keyless Ride: This system allows the rider to start the bike without using a key.
- Shift Assistant Pro: This system allows clutchless upshifts and downshifts.
- Riding Modes Pro: This system adds two additional riding modes: Enduro and Enduro Pro. The Enduro mode optimizes the ABS, DTC, and suspension settings for off-road riding. The Enduro Pro mode allows the rider to customize the ABS, DTC, and suspension settings for more advanced off-road riding.
- LED Headlight Pro: This system adds a daytime running light and an automatic headlight adjustment function to the LED headlight.
- Tire Pressure Monitor: This system displays the tire pressure on the TFT display.
- Alarm System: This system protects the bike from theft by emitting an acoustic and visual signal when triggered.
- Luggage System: This system consists of various bags and cases that can be mounted on the bike for extra storage space. These include a top case, side cases, tank bag, soft bag, etc.
The new BMW R 1300 GS is a remarkable motorcycle that combines power, performance, technology, comfort, and versatility in one package. It is the ultimate adventure bike that can handle any terrain and any challenge. It is also a bike that can be tailored to suit the rider's individual needs and preferences.
The new BMW R 1300 GS will be available in the US market from January 2024 with a starting price of $18,995. It will compete with other adventure bikes, such as the Ducati Multistrada V4, the Honda Africa Twin, the KTM 1290 Super Adventure, and the Triumph Tiger 1200. It's great but I still want to ride a Zero SR-X electric motorcycle.
If you want a bike to do everything, look no further than the new BMW R 1300 GS. It is a bike that will take you to a new level on two wheels. @via BMW Motorrad.
Introducing the new BMW R 1200 GS and the new R 1200 GS Adventure, BMW Motorrad is opening up yet another chapter in the story of highly successful GS models which, for almost three...read more
With the BMW F 800 R, BMW Motorrad increased its F 800 model series for 2009, presenting a sporty roadster created for a high level of riding dynamics and the greatest riding...read more
If you want a motorcycle that can do it all, look no further than the BMW M 1000 XR. This prototype is the latest addition to the BMW Motorrad M...read more
50 years ago, the reference model for the modern German motorbikes was released: BMW R75 / 5. Today the myth has returned to life thanks to a limited exclusive series: BMW R nineT / 5...read more
BMW C1-E is what a reliable, environment-friendly and extremely efficient single track vehicle for city traffic. It is distinguished by a remarkably high level of active and passive...read more
The M RR is based on BMW Motorrad’s S 1000 RR. The power of the BMW M 1000 RR has been increased to 156kW / 212hp and the weight has been reduced to 192 kg. Suspension and...read more
This is Chapter 2 of "20 most legendary motorcycles" article. We collected iconic motorcycles, which represent a balance between the motorcycles that have marked a milestone in...read more
The BMW R 1200 RT has always been acknowledged as the epitome of comfortable and dynamic motorcycle touring in classic style. And now, the latest version of this unique active tourer, with its...read more
Riding is something most people don’t have to do, but rather feel compelled to for a wide variety of reasons ranging from passion to practicality. Unfortunately traffic accidents do happen, and when...read more