BMW sees technical innovations reducing both emissions and fuel consumption as an elementary part of the brand’s product strategy, just like vehicle concepts enhancing the Sheer Driving Pleasure so typical of BMW as a lasting, sustained experience. Now the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept car clearly demonstrates that these objectives expressed through the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy are fully compatible with the most demanding reduction in fuel consumption and emissions complying in full with future requirements.
Conceived as a 2+2-seater with plug-in full-hybrid technology, this unique car is able to combine the performance of a BMW M Car with a standard of fuel economy and emission management exceeding even the current level achieved by the latest small cars in the market. This outstanding result is made possible by the consistent integration of BMW ActiveHybrid components, their combination with an extremely economical combustion engine, and the outstanding aerodynamic qualities of the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept car.
• High-performance concept study with BMW ActiveHybrid technology visualizing the dynamic performance typical of a BMW against the backdrop of future demands in sustained mobility. BMW Vision EfficientDynamics as a symbol for the future of Sheer Driving Pleasure in harmony with trendsetting efficiency.
• Development aim: The performance of a BMW M Car and a highly emotional character combined with the fuel economy and emission management of a modern small car in the premium class. As a result, this unique sports car offers the most consistent rendition of the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy.
• Innovative approach in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics: The exceedingly good balance of CO2 emission management and driving pleasure results from a revolutionary vehicle concept developed all in one from the ground up, achieving a new level of efficiency combined with unique driving experience. The overall result goes far beyond the sum total of the individual features and components in this concept car.
• BMW Vision EfficientDynamics offers a realistic impression of the unique potential of BMW ActiveHybrid technology and the great innovative thrust of BMW EfficientDynamics.
• Offering a full-hybrid concept, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept car is powered by a three-cylinder turbodiesel and two electric motors. Overall system output is 262 kW/356 hp, maximum torque 800 Newton-metres/590 lb-ft. All-wheel drive featuring an electric motor on both the front and rear axle.
• Anticipated performance: Acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds, top speed 250 km/h (155 mph) (electronically limited) , fuel consumption in the EU test cycle 3.76 litres/100 km (equal to 75.1 mph imp), CO2 emissions 99 grams/kilometre.
• As a plug-in hybrid, BMW Vision EfficientDynamics is able to cover the entire fuel consumption drive cycle under electric power alone. Taking the sources of energy used for generating the electric power consumed into account (EU electricity mix), this reduces the CO2 emission rating to just 50 grams per kilometer.
• Electric power is generated without the slightest increase in fuel consumption through a particularly efficient concept of Brake Energy Regeneration. Energy is stored in 98 lithium polymer cells. The car is able to cover a distance of approximately 50 km/31 miles in the electric mode alone.
• Aerodynamics developed with know-how from Formula 1. CX drag coefficient optimized to just 0.22. Forward-looking energy management uses the maximum potential available in each case to minimize fuel consumption.
The Germans from BMW continues to electrify its model range, preparing 225xe for BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and 330E for BMW 3 Series. The BMW 225xe, powertrain consists of a 1.5-...read more
The Honda Personal-Neo Urban Transport (P-NUT) design study model demonstrates a futuristic concept for an ultra-compact and sophisticated city coupe, American Honda Motor Co., Inc...read more
At the Tokyo Motor Show later this month, Suzuki will exhibit its latest concepts for the future including a Swift with Plug-in Hybrid system and an SX4 Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV). Swift Plug-...read more
BMW X5 M50i and BMW X7 M50i receive the new 530hp V8 engine equipped with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. Both models benefit from the BMW xDrive integral traction system and suspension technology...read more
Peugeot, the pioneer and 1st worldwide manufacturer of electric vehicles will be launching the Peugeot iOn at the end of 2010. Its performance and 130 km operating range is obtained in particular due...read more
LAMPO2 is an even more energy efficient successor to the LAMPO demonstration vehicle presented in 2009. Weight, aerodynamics and the efficiency of individual components of the BRUSA drive train have...read more