• The new generation of the Audi brand’s flagship, introducing a new era in progressive excellence. Combining dynamic exterior and luxurious interior design with sporty driving characteristics, while providing the highest level of comfort and convenience equipment in the segment.
• The D4 (fourth generation flagship sedan) stands for a unique combination of aluminum space frame, MMI user interface, interior craftsmanship, quattro all-wheel-drive and adaptive air suspension.
• The Audi brand icon with the perfect execution of sporty, progressive, and sophisticated character.
• Differentiators from competition are sportiness, superior quality and progressiveness. Progressiveness is expressed by the A8 through technological innovation expertise and forward looking design.
• Showcases Audi design, innovation, craftsmanship, and excellence.
• Audi Space Frame (aluminum) weighs 40% less than a comparable steel frame and offers 25% more torsional rigidity than its predecessor.
US-Market specific information:
• Key competitors are the Mercedes-Benz S Class and BMW 7 Series.
• NWB shown in Detroit. LWB is the core model in the D Segment in the U.S., and will be revealed at the Beijing Motor Show in late April, 2010. Differentiation: The NWB A8 is positioned more of the ‘driver’s car’, with sportiness and driving dynamics in focus, while the LWB balances prestige, sportiness and comfort.
• Segment sales and pricing will be announced in Fall 2010, shortly prior to both NWB and LWB launching simultaneously at U.S. dealers.
Compelling Differentiators for the new Audi A8 in the D Segment fall into 3 main categories:
1. Exceptional Technology: Audi engineers developed cutting edge, innovative, and progressive technologies for the D4:
• Audi Space Frame (latest generation all-aluminum chassis innovation). The 1997-2003 D2 A8 was the first series production car with an aluminum space frame, and the 2011 D4 continues Audi’s leadership in aluminum design and manufacturing:
• Bang & Olufsen Advanced sound system (optional, BOSE Surround Sound is standard)
o The system was designed and developed as part of the design process of the D4 to ensure organic integration. Audi and B&O: two great design brands working together for an exceptional experience.
• Industry-first full-LED front headlamps with high and low beam, daytime running lights, cornering lights and turn signals in LED.
• quattro (standard) with sports differential (optional). Continuously variable torque distribution on the rear axle.
o The A8 is the only car in segment with all-wheel-drive standard, and the only car with the torque-vectoring differential available.
• Driver Assistance Systems:
o New generation of ESP stability control with electronic all-wheel-drive torque vectoring. Integrated with Dynamic steering and quattro Sport differential when equipped. Cleans the brake discs and pre-fills the brake system pressure when accelerator released abruptly, improving brake reaction times.
o Audi braking guard (in combination with ACC) warns the driver of critical situations with warning sound and then braking jolt.
o Automatic emergency braking (in combination with ACC and side assist) is autonomously carried out in the case of an unavoidable collision to minimize the impact.
o Reversible belt tensioners; if instability is detected, holds passengers in the optimal seating position.
o Adjustment of seats to optimal seating position.
o Closing sunroof and side windows to help shield the passenger compartment.
o Air suspension shock absorbers adjusted to improve braking and performance.
o Two-stage activation of partial braking
o Hazard warning lights activated
2. The Search for Perfection – in developing the D4, Audi spared no expense or effort to make the perfect luxury-performance sedan:
• Fit and finish, interior and exterior. Audi engineers are always challenged to find the optimized solution to design challenges.
o One example of this design focus and effort on the D4 is the so-called “Koenigsfuge,” or “King’s Joint,” where the door and the dashboard meet.
• 4 different materials and design lines meet at this joint (wood inlay, aluminum inlay, leather dash, and plastics) and must line up on the door and the dashboard for the interior design to flow around the passengers. A compromised solution could have been to change the design to simplify manufacturing, but Audi showcases its quality in the A8 in many such ways.
• Next-generation MMI 3G+ Multi Media Interface with innovative ‘MMI touch’.
• These language capabilities will only be offered for each respective country, but nevertheless the system is a sign of the Audi international approach toward luxury vehicle development.
• Night vision assistant (optional) with thermal-imaging camera (infrared).
3. A New Dimension in Look and Feel – the style, design and driving experience of the A8 and A8L takes the driver and passengers to a level never before experienced in a luxury car:
• Exterior design is clear and logical Audi design, with focus on dynamics, generous proportions and elegance.
• Interior design focus was to give the sense of spaciousness, intuitive control, comfort and luxury. Elements within the interior were designed to take up as little room as possible, e.g. the MMI screen which folds away. The wrap-around ‘skyliner’ design gives a sense of roominess while connecting the driver and passengers, and the ambient lighting gives a feeling of ‘lightness’ to the interior and a ‘floating’ center console.
• New shift-by-wire gearshift lever in the style of a yacht throttle lever serves as an ergonomic hand rest for operating the MMI and gives the feeling of the ‘center of power and control’ at the driver’s fingertips.
• Audi drive select (standard) allows the driver to change the character of the car to their desires, and means that there is no compromise between a sporty and comfortable car.
Drivetrain Highlights for the USA:
• Optimized 4.2 FSI V8 specifications:
o Audi Valvelift System (AVS) variable intake valve lift
o 8-speed automatic transmission for improved fuel economy, responsiveness and driving comfort
o 372 hp (D3 A8 had 350 hp)
o 328 lb-ft (D3 A8 had 325 lb-ft torque)
o 0-100km/h (62 mph) in 5.7 seconds (est.)
o 15% improvement in fuel consumption estimated vs. current A8 (EPA figures TBD)
o quattro® AWD – latest generation with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40/60)
• W12 FSI specifications (this twelve cylinder engine is available late Spring 2011 at U.S. dealers, pricing TBD)
• Audi is the only car company in the USA who sells 100% of its gasoline engines with direct injection, meaning more power and fuel economy at the same time, without performance compromise
o 460 lb-ft (previous W12 had 428 lb-ft)
o 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.9 seconds (est.)
o 12% improvement in fuel consumption estimated vs. current A9 (EPA figures TBD)
o Note: A8L W12 was not for sale in the USA after model year 2009. 2010 is the final model year for the outgoing generation, but only with the 4.2 V8 FSI engine with 350 hp / 325 lb-ft). S8 (normal wheelbase only) was also discontinued after model year 2009, and no word yet on timing of a replacement).
With the facelifted version of the luxury limousine A8 in a plug-in hybrid version, the Audi A8 TFSI e comes below the limit of 50 grams CO2 / km and is, therefore, a low-emission car...read more
The last word in luxury and the height of efficiency converge in the all-new Audi A8, which makes its world public debut this week at the Design Miami exhibition in Florida, USA....read more
Exceptional performance and breathtaking dynamism coupled with the intense sensations of open-top driving: Audi presents the R8 Spyder 5.2 FSI quattro. Its lightweight cloth top...read more
The brand new Audi A6 starts orders in the UK in January 2011, valued from £30,145 (including 20% VAT) - first customer deliveries in march 2011. Audi A6 2.0...read more
Right from its release three years ago Audi Q7 was a true leader among SUV's sporting premium, version of 2010 is more elegant, with less polluting emissions and last but not...read more
The Lexus LS 460 flagship luxury sedans debut revised styling, with a revised grille, bumper, and headlamps, while rear styling is enhanced with revised taillamps, license plate...read more
The Lexus LS 600h L sedan was the first vehicle to bring fuel-efficient gasoline-electric hybrid technology to the prestige luxury segment when it went on sale for the 2008...read more
Audi has launched a limited edition Audi TT RS Coupe iconic edition, celebrating the car's success story spanning over a quarter of a century. The sports car is performance-focused,...read more
Bentley Motors will preview an exciting new design direction for the company's Continental GT and GTC models at the 2009 Frankfurt Show. The Series 51 Continental models represent...read more