Forty-four years after its gleaming Spectraflame paint job, side-exit "zoomy" exhausts and red-line wheels launched playtime fantasies for millions of children of all ages, Chevrolet Performance has paid homage to the original Hot Wheels "Custom Camaro" toy with a full-scale tribute. It also introduces an all-new, emissions-compliant LS3 E-ROD Connect and Cruise crate powertrain system that matches the 430-horsepower LS3 engine with a 4L65-E four-speed automatic transmission.
Translating a 1:64-scale toy car into a 1:1 real car is complicated, as the proportions don't exactly match a full-scale first-generation Camaro, but the designers interpreted the original toy in a way that conveys its spirit in a realistic form. The concept vehicle painted Kinetic Blue, just like the forthcoming Camaro Hot Wheels® Edition production model.
"A literal interpretation of the toy car would have been too cartoony - it just wouldn't look right on a full-size car," said Chevrolet Design Manager Dave Ross. "The stance and wheels of the concept vehicle are different, as well as some of the proportions the toy has, but the body lines and styling cues are all the same."
Additional vehicle highlights include:
- Shaved door handles with remote keyless entry
- Hood that matches the design of the original Custom Camaro toy
- Hot Wheels exterior badges and grille emblem
- Stainless steel "zoomie" side-exit exhausts
- Custom 18x9-inch (front) and 18x11-inch (rear) aluminum wheels with red-line accents
- 2012 Camaro front bucket seats with shortened head restraints, trimmed in white leather with blue accent stitching
- Silver vinyl-wrapped instrument panel, door panels and rear inner quarter panels
- Silver perforated headliner and sunshades
- Custom instrument panel and console gauge kit
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel.
In addition to the new LS3 E-ROD Connect and Cruise crate powertrain system, drivetrain and suspension components include a hydroformed front subframe with tubular control arms and adjustable coil-over shocks, a four-link rear suspension with adjustable coil-overs, rack-and-pinion steering and heavy-duty four-wheel disc brakes featuring six-piston calipers.
Inspired by the style of young, urban professionals, the Camaro Dusk concept rolls with a contemporary tuner aesthetic. It is understatedly aggressive looking,...
The Camaro Synergy concept previews a new Synergy Green production exterior color that will be offered on a special-edition Camaro in the first half of 2010. It also features a...
A special-edition Chevrolet Camaro Convertible will serve as the official pace car of the 2011 Indianapolis 500. Chevrolet and Indianapolis Motor Speedway...
Avid Car Collector and Yenko Enthusiast Recaptures Yenko Magic with Possible New Yenko Models, Fresh Product Lines Westminster, Calif. – (October 14, 2009) As the...
An all-new Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) will join the ranks of law enforcement departments across North America in 2011. It's a modern, full-size...