With the Subaru Hybrid Tourer Concept, Subaru has condensed its DNA, developed over many years around the Subaru's core technology of "Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD)" and "Horizontally-Opposed Boxer Engine", into the integration of a luxurious and high-quality cabin atmosphere and an eye-catching sculpted body. The Subaru Hybrid Tourer Concept features Subaru's latest evolutions in handling agility, riding comfort and superior safety performance. It proposes Subaru's vision of a future grand touring car that excels in environmental friendliness thanks to Subaru's unique hybrid system.
Subaru imagined wings with a feeling of freedom and confidence for driving far and wide in any environment. A luxurious and comfortable cabin, and advanced driving performance are contained within a sculpted aerodynamic form. The design features a combination of bright, open glass areas with a solid, reliable body.
The original point of the ideal grand touring car is its interior design, featuring four independent and comfortably positioned seats. Passengers are enclosed within an atmosphere that provides a surpassing feeling of openness and stress-free reassurance, through the further pursuit of a human-centered philosophy, the essence of Subaru car design, and the incorporation of functions that are friendly to passengers.
* The top of the dashboard is movable up and down to provide an optimal driving environment for the driver according to driving conditions.
* A flat floor in the rear seat was achieved even with the implementation of AWD, for improved use and movement inside the cabin.
* Specialized shielding is incorporated in the windshield to reduce eyestrain on the driver.
* New leather covering developed with superior breathability and a ventilation function is used in the seats for improved comfort and texture.
In addition to refinements to Subaru's core technology such as Symmetrical AWD and Horizontally-Opposed Boxer Engine, further enhancements were made for improved environmental friendliness, driving performance and high safety performance by offering a next-generation power unit system and advanced safety technologies.
2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel-injection turbo gasoline engine
The Horizontally-Opposed turbo gasoline engine, with a reputation for powerful acceleration, is combined with a direct fuel-injection system for improvements in fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, and improved torque and response in practical range. This evolution in Subaru turbo technology excels in both environmental friendliness and engine performance.
Lineartronic, Subaru's new generation automatic transmission, achieves further improvements in both fuel efficiency and driving performance by reinforcing parts for use with the high-power output of a turbo engine.
* To further enhance the appeal of the Symmetrical AWD system, this unique hybrid two-motor system features a power/drive motor in the front and a drive motor in the rear.
* At start-up and extremely low speeds when fuel efficiency is low, such as when driving the car into a garage, the rear motor is used primarily to allow driving without utilizing the power of the engine.
* During normal driving, the front engine is primarily used. The direct fuel-injection turbo gasoline mated with the Symmetrical AWD offers a whole new, Subaru driving experience.
* During acceleration, the rear motor assists the driving power of the engine to achieve advanced driving performance.
* Further, when accelerating uphill, the front motor, which is normally used as a power generator, assists to drive the front axle for improved performance.
* The implementation of a non-idling function that stops the engine when the car comes to a halt reduces unnecessary fuel consumption.
* The use of a high-performance lithium battery is based on experience and know-how achieved with the Subaru Plug-in Stella electric vehicle, launched this summer. This includes the use of a precise energy management system and regenerative brake controls, for improvements in excellent fuel efficiency.
Subaru has integrated its unique driving assist system, EyeSight, with vehicle-to-vehicle and road-to-vehicle communication technology. EyeSight includes an assist collision prevention support system that uses its unique stereo camera technology to recognize a wide range of driving environments. This next-generation driver assistance system provides improved safety and peace-of-mind for passengers, and represents a major evolution in collision detection performance.
* The advanced environment recognition performance of EyeSight, using a stereo camera and a specialized 3D image processing engine, excels at pre-collision safety through the recognition of both pedestrians and cyclists as well.
* Wide-ranging driving conditions that cannot be covered by a stereo camera alone are acquired through vehicle-to-vehicle and road-to-vehicle communication technology, which is then synchronized with EyeSight for a further evolution in preventative safety. Specifically, this system continuously detects vehicles that move into and out of blind spots, and advises the driver on appropriate driving maneuvers.
Shortly after the successful market launch of the S 400 HYBRID, currently the most fuel-efficient luxury-segment saloon with a petrol engine, Mercedes-Benz will be presenting the...read more
Hamann Motorsport has given the BMW 5-Series GT a significantly more dynamic appearance and turned the crossover between a comfortably spacious SUV and an elegant...read more
Get the sedan that commands respect. Advertising Agency: DDB Canada, Toronto Client: Subaru Creative Director: Andrew Simon Art Director: Todd Mackie...read more
Exclusive, innovative and individual: These three attributes best describe the STARTECH accessories program for the latest Jaguar XK and XKR models, which is available for...read more
Following the unveiling of Lexus' award-winning hybrid 2+2 sports coupe concept, the LF-LC at the 2012 Detroit Motor Show and its European debut at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show, a new...read more
Jaguar UK has launched a high-performance police pursuit vehicle based on its XF Diesel S model, currently being evaluated by police forces. The Jaguar XF returns 42mpg, emits 179g/km and can sprint...read more
Bugatti honours the importance of the Middle East market with 2 unique cars and a special series of only 5 Veyrons for the Middle East market. Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. finishes its...read more
The Nissan GT-R build as a sportscoupe and direct opponent of the Porsche Turbo was revealed at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2007. As a direct successor of the Skyline GT-R R34 the bar...read more
Lexus offers a slip differential to the ultra-high performance IS F and a new F-Sport trim package for IS 250 and 220d models. Renewing the traditional differential...read more